[pmmail-list] Linux

John Drabik pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:36:24 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:08:27, Brian Morrison wrote:

>>was that there is no really good MUA for Linux (gooey) right now.
>>Therefore PMmail has a window of opportunity.
>I've already told them I would happily cough up too. So far, no real
>comment.
>
>However, Evolution is moving very fast ... the source is open...
>take some of the PMMail features...and bolt them on then release
>under the GPL. Might still be
>possible to charge for this, and then allow users to contribute fixes
>and enhancements.

You would not be able to charge for the code enhancements, if it is
derived from or attached to GPL code.  I know of a couple of
companies attempting to play games with the GPL - I sure wouldn't.
You *could* probably charge a fee for service and maintenance (the
GPL allows warranties or guarantees for a fee), but not the code.
The question then becomes: can you offer better service than BSW?  If
no, then BSW has a chance anyway (proprietary products that are not
GPL or based on GPL source can charge all they want).  If yes, and
your extensions are reasonable, BSW is dead meat in the Linux market.

My offer of several weeks ago for PMMail on Linux still stands.  I'm
willing to offer the premium because I want the product, and I
believe in helping spur them on to success.  As far as I know,
they're not listening.  There's been no response.

The "Next Big Thing" will be a decent cross-platform mail
server/client.  Notes sure ain't it!  Web mail / IMAP / LDAP
required, OS/2, Linux, Doze, and Mac clients are a must.  Java is a
natural, but for some reason, the Java e-mail clients just haven't
matured (so far).  My company spent a huge amount of money on Notes -
and it just plain sucks.  It's surprising that IBM is pumping $1.3
billion into Linux this year, and the guys at Lotus can't figure out
how to make a decent Linux Notes client, for example (I mean it
REALLY sucks!).  The opportunity window for PMMail is huge - but they
just don't seem to be paying attention either.  Is it an e-mail
coder/company thing?

John