[pmmail-list] Quoting Style on reply (was: Re: Sort order of MOVE folder targets)

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 08:09:59 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:39:13 -0500, Gene Gough wrote:

   [see below]

Excuse me to come back to the hot question of quoting style, and
please excuse me, if I take your message as a bad example -- I just
quote in the way you had quoted the message you were answering to,
i.e. completely, and after your text, even including the long
signature from the mailing list informing about how to unsubscribe
etc, which is again appended to your message, and so appears twice in
your message (and three times in this one).

Just look at it again -- it is very hard to find out, what you are
referring to in your answer. The reader of your message would have to
reread the entire message you quote to find out your point of
reference.

This happens when you simply type CTRL-R for reply, and PMMail copies
by default the whole original message into the reply.

It is better to highlight (mark with mouse or keyboard) the phrase
from the original message which you think indespensable for the
reader of your message to understand your remarks and THEN hit CTRL-R
to reply -- PMMail will then only copy those parts of the original
message into the reply which you had highlighted, resulting in a
smaller message which is easier to read and understand.

  Or use the context menu in the message list, select reply, and then
"exclude quoting" in the second level menu. Normally "include
quoting" is the default, but this can be changed in the account
settings under "Preferences".

  Please let me repeat that I do not want to bother you, I just see
this as a good occasion to point out some features of PMMail which
can be useful for this situation which had been so hotly debated on
this list in the past days.

Yours,
Lüko Willms

--------- original message follows -------------------------