[pmmail-list] Client/Server Mail, Was: Re: Linux

Michael Lueck pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 08:51:58 -0500

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:36:24 -0700 (MST), John Drabik wrote:

>The "Next Big Thing" will be a decent cross-platform mail
>server/client.

Actually I've been suggesting PMMail become that since BoB and Icon were still
writing PMMail. I've offered design consulting free of charge right along -
just so I can keep some small LAN clients off of Notes.

I also work with a Notes Genious who has altered huge parts of Notes through
tons of add-on code. I hope some day to build my company into a Notes ASP, hire
him away, and turn the world of Notes upside down.

Anyway, my thought for PMMail is to add a type of account called a "shared
account" which has message locking, etc... so you can park it on a LAN drive
and allow multiple workstations to share that account. Good for things like
info@, sales@, support@, etc... As well, you would have to "logon" to PMMail
which basically specifies an INI file which describes which accounts you are to
access, and what drive/path they are stored at. Then take that general idea an
do the same magic to the adddress book.

I've had a thread over in the PMMail Forum in the suggestion group on this
topic - if you show messages back 100 days it will show up for you.

Needless to say I've never heard back on my offer, at least since the BoB and
Icon days. I heard one of them ended up working for M$, but no one ever seems
to have wanted to talk about what they are up go, why PMMail was sold, etc...

Have a good weekend everyone!

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/