[pmmail-list] Linux

John Thompson pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 14:07:10 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:36:24 -0700 (MST), John Drabik wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:08:27, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>>was that there is no really good MUA for Linux (gooey) right now.
>>>Therefore PMmail has a window of opportunity.
>>I've already told them I would happily cough up too. So far, no real
>>comment.
>>
>>However, Evolution is moving very fast ... the source is open...
>>take some of the PMMail features...and bolt them on then release
>>under the GPL. Might still be
>>possible to charge for this, and then allow users to contribute fixes
>>and enhancements.

>You would not be able to charge for the code enhancements, if it is
>derived from or attached to GPL code.

Not so.  You can charge whatever you feel you can get for it.  But once
you start distributing your enhancements you also have to make the source
code available for others to work with. This means you don't make your
living from selling the software, but rather from the services that make
it work the way your customers want.

>The "Next Big Thing" will be a decent cross-platform mail
>server/client.  Notes sure ain't it!  Web mail / IMAP / LDAP
>required, OS/2, Linux, Doze, and Mac clients are a must.  Java is a
>natural, but for some reason, the Java e-mail clients just haven't
>matured (so far).

Check out Polarbar (http://www.polarbar.org).  It's derived from the old
OS/2|Java mail client "JStreet Mailer."  It may not be ready for
enterprise use yet, for for personal use it is quite adequate.  I have it
running in OS/2, Win98 and linux on my machines at home.

--

John (john.thompson@attglobal.net)