[pmmail-list] Linux

John Drabik pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:03:02 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 14:07:10 -0600 (CST), John Thompson wrote:

>>>However, Evolution is moving very fast ... the source is open...
>>You would not be able to charge for the code enhancements...
>Not so.  You can charge whatever you feel you can get for it.  But once
>you start distributing your enhancements you also have to make the source
>code available for others to work with. This means you don't make your
>living from selling the software, but rather from the services that make
>it work the way your customers want.

Exactly the point I was making (a follow-up a few days later cleared
it all up I think).  It wasn't that you couldn't sell it at all -
it's that you can't continue to sell it and then somehow try to
protect the mods you make to the source.  You may want to read the
follow-ons from several people (including me) that went into more
detail.

>The "Next Big Thing" will be a decent cross-platform mail
>Check out Polarbar (http://www.polarbar.org).

Tried it; way, way underpowered.  Doesn't handle large volumes of
mail, etc.  It's got promise, mind you (so did JStreet - which I
bought a long time ago).  It's just not prime-time stuff yet.

John