[pmmail-list] Client/Server Mail, Was: Re: Linux

Michael Lueck pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:03:06 -0500

On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 21:30:37 +0100 (MEZ), Lueko Willms wrote:

>   ... I think that VPOP3 is able to do what you want. Difference to
>PMMail: VPOP3 only runs on Windows, not OS/2.

People have suggested that, but then you have to use PMMail in a mode where you
have mail stored on the server. Yuck! That's not a solution. I want to leave
the POP at the ISP, fetch mail into a LAN ready mail client.

Notes can allow you to share a mailbox - in which the mail is in that user's
mail box, which happens to be on a server which allows mailbox sharing. But the
mail is stored in the native e-mail client program, not on another brand of
server / another program.

For example, with VPOP3 do you get to take advantage of all of PMMail's
features such as filters, folders, search, etc..??? I doubt that. Sure,
multiple PC's can fetch mail from a POP account. But once the mail is into that
PC's copy of PMMail, others with access to that account can not see the e-mail.
Or if you leave it on the server all the time, the you don't get the great
features of PMMail.

Grumble, grumble... duct tape is NOT a solution to this need. At least <ggaagg>
Notes is!

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/