[pmmail-list] German, French, Spanish versions (was: Install 2.20.2200)

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:36:34 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:03:43 +0100 (MET), Frank Winkler - Sun Germany
REOS - Munich wrote:

> Though I'm a native German speaker I don't have the slightest interest
> in a German version.

  Sie denken nur an sich selbst -- you only think about your own
personal needs. For me it is also sufficient to read English, but
when I have customers who use MS Outlook or Outlook Express, because
the interface for it is in German language, I will one day also have
to use MS Outlook so that I can understand my customers problems and
help them.

>  >It really seems that you don't have a clue to what he was asking for.
>  >He want a version that will allow his German speaking customers to be
>  >able to read the menus, help, etc.  In other words, English isn't the
>  >only language in the world.
>
> And it seems that you haven't read my reply. Of course I understood what
> he was asking for but IMO this is an absolutely minor issue.

  It is absolutely not a minor issue. On the contrary.

>  Instead of
> spending lots of time and money for other language versions we should
> get the one we have doing what we expect it to do. Right, PMMail is far
> the best mailer I've ever seen but the members of this list found a
> couple of bugs and submitted bunches of new feature proposals
> which have a significantly higher priority.

  Well no, all the feature requests I have submitted are of the class
"Nice to have", but not absolutely essential; also I don't know of
any bugs which are so heavy.

  But the language of the user interface is an absolute KO-criterium
for most potential customers. You can't force an English language
program on an average office PC user in Germany, France, Spain or
else where English is not the primary language.

  PMMail will have no real market penetration on the European
continent or south of the Rio Grande (even among large parts of the
population north of it, which are native Spanish or French speakers),
when there are alternatives available int he native tongues of the
potential users.

  On the other hand, there are a lot of people who _volunteered_ to
produce a German or French version, probably also Spanish. So it
would not even cost a lot, unless the user interface text is so
heavily integrated in the program text, that it requires initially
very much work to seperate these texts in a separate resource file,
or to maintain several parallell language versions.

Yours,

Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
/ Lueko.Willms@T-Online.de