[pmmail-list] PMMail 2000 Beta Difficulties

Kevin Murphy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:43:09 -0500

Hello all,

I sent this list originally to the PMMail 2000 list, but it doesn't seem to have been noticed, so I'm going to send it tot his list as well.

Here's what I've noticed with the betas, and for quite some time with the release versions:

I'm running the second beta of PMMail 2000 Professional.

The timeout values are still set too low.  I understood this was going to be a user-definable variable, but I have yet to see this come to be.  I have (unfortunately) some very slow mail servers that I am
unable to fetch from using anything other than the "official" version.  This would be a top priority item in my mind.

I've noticed that the unread messages counter can be thrown off by high-priority (red icon) messages.  Whenever I receive one of these messages, regardless of what I do with it (Mark as read,
double-click to read, delete immediately, etc), the Inbox always claims to have at least 1 unread messages even when there are none.

I like the feature to be able to delete messages from the trash after a certain period of time, but I dislike the fact that in order to activate this feature, I must close and re-open PMMail.  Would it be
possible to have a button in the titlebar, perhaps a "Delete messages from trash while following the option I set in the configuration" button?

With regards to installations that reside on network drives (necessary in my case for cross-platform PMMail use), I notice three difficulties.

	1.  Reading messages is EXTREMELY slow...  I understand this is due to the way PMMail reads the messages from the drive, and because it always assumes it is using an extremely low-
		latency connection. (ie. local drive)...  Would it be possible to either change the way this works altogether, or provide a configuration option to this end?

	2.  Loading PMMail 2000 in Windows 2000 off of a Warp Server for eBusiness file server is terribly slow.  (Yes, I like to mix my operating systems <Grin>)  We're talking about 30 - 40
		second load times.  I have other programs installed on this file server, and I experience no delays like this.  In the office I have a Windows 2000 server, and I notice similar delays,
		though admittedly for some reaosn they are lessened.

	3.  It seems that running PMMail 2000 off of a network drive makes it generally unstable.  I constantly get error messages in Windows 2000 to the effect of "The application generated an
		error: The memory could not be 'read' ..."  or something of the like.  When I run PMMail on a local drive, I have not been able to reproduce these errors.

I realize I'm throwing a lot of stuff at you, but I really do enjoy using PMMail, and would like to remove the final detractors from an altogether wonderful experience.  You guys picked up a great
product, and it's great to see somebody actively working with this mail client I have been using for many many years now.

If you require any additional information, please let me know, I would be glad to continue this conversation through private email if you would like.

Thank You!

-Kevin Murphy
computec@bigfoot.com