[pmmail-list] German, French, Spanish versions (was: Install 2.20.2200)

Stefan Kirch pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:15:18 +0100

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:50:55 +0100 (MEZ), Lueko Willms wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:07:52 +0100, Henk Hendriks wrote:
>
>> >   Professionals in what? I have seen a lot of translations of
>> >professional _translators_ who knew nothing of the product to be
>> >described, and those translations are horrible.
>>
>> Professionals in software translations with a thorough knowledge of e-mail clients (in this
>> particular case) AND of the language they translate into (= university degree). That is what I
>> mean by professionals.
>
>  That sounds good. I did not want to put in question your work and
>your qualities. I think that translation to Nederlands would be in
>good hands when you do it.

In my opinion, the biggest problem is, that theses translators
often have no experience with translations of software, so they
translate for example "Speichern" to "Store" instead of "Save",
"Abbrechen" to "Abort" instead of "Cancel" and so on, so we got
after the translation a very funny english version. Everybody
would understand this, but if there popups an dialog-box with
the header "Validate", the message "The data changed. Do you want
to store the facts" and the buttons "ok" and "abort" ....

So, it's very important to have translators with software-experience.
But on the other hand: in other areas, it's the same problem. To
see examples, just have a look on some instructions of japanese
watches, radios, razors and so on :)

  Steff