[pmmail-list] ~Re: PMMail 2000 Beta Difficulties

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 02:43:00 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 20:43:09 -0500, Kevin Murphy wrote:

>I like the feature to be able to delete messages from the trash after a certain period of time, but I dislike the fact that in order to activate this feature, I must close and re-open PMMail.

In fairness to the authors, this timed deletion feature selection is
prefaced by "On shutdown". By selecting, you are agreeing to the
conditions. I don't use this feature since it serves no useful purpose to
shutdown an application to perform a housekeeping function when I can do
it manually.

> Would it be
>possible to have a button in the titlebar, perhaps a "Delete messages from trash while following the option I set in the configuration" button?

Timed functions should be automatic. A solution might be to create a
housekeeping flag possibly in the /trash folder/ ini file. Perform timed
deletions on startup rather than shutdown and set flag. Clear this flag
when local machine date change at midnight. Check status of flag on fetch
cycle. Perform timed deletions if flag clear and then reset. Actually
since PMMail caches some information at startup, it should reinitialize
whenever program settings are changed.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris