[pmmail-list] ~Re: [feature request] other textcolor for quotings

Martin Jansen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:23:26 +0100

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:18:16 -0800 (PST), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:17:25 +0100, Martin Jansen wrote:
>
>>the possibility
>>to choose another color for quoted text, like e.g.
>>Forte Agent does.
>
>Simple enough request. But what about its implementation. Should I accept
>the increased time in rendering the text while PMMail figures out what
>text to colorize and in what color?

Coming back to the example of Forte Agent: Forte Agent seemingly
does not need very much time for analysing the message, with color
quoting it's about that fast as PMMail 2000 without color quoting.

>How did Forte Agent deal with multiple types of quote characters?

Forte Agent marks lines that are introduced by ">" or "|"
in a different color.

>Do you have a solution for BSW?

I'm no programmer for Win32 or OS/2 and don't know the code of
PMMail ;-). So I can't say very much about developing the
feature.

>>different colors make it really easier to read
>>and to write messages with lots of quotings in it.
>
>No message should have "lots of quotings in it".

That would be really nice. But unfortunately not all people know
http://learn.to/quote ;-).

>If it does, I don't bother to figure out what the author intended to say.

That's your opinion. For me it's often of big importance to figure
out what someone want's to say who is not familiar with good quoting.

>>What do you think about that?
>
>I don't care unless it eats performance.

I'm not very familiar with programming languages like C++ etc.
(I work with scripting languages like PHP), so I don't know
how much work it costs to implement sth. like this and I don't
know how much performance it takes to format the message text.
But it might be worth testing it.

IIRC some people during the discussion said that it is not
a very big problem to implement it.

Martin

--
    http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/wishlist/2XZIZHW5CVBGZ