[pmmail-list] firewalls

Mike Kilroy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:02:19 -0500

On similar topic....  Has anyone noticed Pmmail 2.20.2200 timing out
and taking long time to fetch mail sent thru Norton Antivirus?  I
think it is similar issue?  (You set pop account to 127.0.0.1 and
tell it real pop account after username with
username/kilroywashere.com type thing).  I went from 2.10 to
2.20.2200 a few days ago and ever since I cannot get long emails
(>500MB) and it gets stuck often unless I use remote control.  It
also occassionally slows win98 machine down to a crawl until I
ctl-alt-del out of it.  I just tonight went back to direct pop access
and it is back to speedy gonzalas for me.

Sound familiar anyone?  Same problem as below?  Any ideas on fixes
other than going back a version?  (or starting to use my OS/2 pmmail
on my main server box behind me?:)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:19:41 -0400, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>has anyone noticed any delays in logging into pop servers when
>running a firewall? I recently booted to Windows ME (like I am now)
>and installed Tiny software's Personal Firewall. I notice that there
>are long delays logging into some pop servers (but not all,
>apparently) but if I shut the firewall down, the login happens right
>away.
>
>Yes, I have told the firewall to allow PMMailw.exe communications
>both ways to all IPs / ports.
>

>--
>Trevor Smith
>PMMail/2 Technical Support