[pmmail-list] firewalls

Mike Kilroy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:03:34 -0500

On similar topic....  Has anyone noticed Pmmail 2.20.2200 timing out
and taking long time to fetch mail sent thru Norton Antivirus?  I
think it is similar issue?  (You set pop account to 127.0.0.1 and
tell it real pop account after username with
username/kilroywashere.com type thing).  I went from 2.10 to
2.20.2200 a few days ago and ever since I cannot get long emails
(>500MB) and it gets stuck often unless I use remote control.  It
also occassionally slows win98 machine down to a crawl until I
ctl-alt-del out of it.  I just tonight went back to direct pop access
and it is back to speedy gonzalas for me.

another tidbit:  there is no slowdown perceptable in any other
internet programs.

Sound familiar anyone?  Same problem as below?  Any ideas on fixes
other than going back a version?  (or starting to use my OS/2 pmmail
on my main server box behind me?:)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:19:41 -0400, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>has anyone noticed any delays in logging into pop servers when
>running a firewall? I recently booted to Windows ME (like I am now)
>and installed Tiny software's Personal Firewall. I notice that there
>are long delays logging into some pop servers (but not all,
>apparently) but if I shut the firewall down, the login happens right
>away.
>
>Yes, I have told the firewall to allow PMMailw.exe communications
>both ways to all IPs / ports.
>

>--
>Trevor Smith
>PMMail/2 Technical Support