[pmmail-list] Open relay is the problem with your smtp

Steve Ewing pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 20:33:53 -0500

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:47:07 -0700, Dave in Phoenix wrote:

>Yep. I am told by cox it is because some ISP's to try and prevent their
>smtp servers being used for Spam  have started to forbid open relays.
>Your E-mail address has to come from the same ISP whose, smtp server your
>using.

I work for an ISP that does this.  The way we have it set up is that the POP-before-SMTP is only necessary if you are not on
our network; IOW, if you are on one of our dialups then you are OK regardless, but if you're checking your mail from some
other provider, say from your office, you need to check your mail first.

Outlook Express <shudder> has a convenient  "Send and Receive" button, and that's exactly what it does: sends, gets an
error, and then receives.  The next send is OK.  We tell them to just click the button twice.  As we have it set up (we're using
sendmail with a lot of customization) the effect lasts 30 min.

Steve<steve@qmss.com>
http://www.qmss.com/sewing