[pmmail-list] time to clear trash - performance

Bruce Francis pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:24:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:06:30 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

>I do only clear the Trash occasionally, but often with 20-30 items.
>So, maybe that is the difference.

Try it with 4,000 items that you've just dumped in there....

>But, it also seems rather a simple solution/bypass.  Clear the Trash at
>the end of each day.  I'd rather have BSW make repairs to code that is
>actually broken and that I cannot bypass than spend time on things that
>can be remedied by a modification of my own behaviour.

Doesn't matter if you clear it daily ... AAMOF I shut down PMMail
daily so it is getting cleared.  This problem happens when you add
a _significant_ number of messages to the Trash bin.   Try it.....
you'll see.

>Sure, they can keep it in mind if they open up that code.  But in the
>overall priority of things, it just does not hit the top of MY list.
>Then, again, to each his own.

It hits the top of *mine* when my computer is tied up doing
reindexing for a couple of hours!   The CPU gauge is pegged
at 99%.... not much happening other than reindexing a message
every few seconds.