[pmmail-list] time to clear trash - performance

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:36:20 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001 21:13:37 -0400, mark mutoxin wrote:

>is this trash problem unique to pmmail/2?  having never noticed the
>behaviour, i just dumped 3300 messages into trash and that took
>20-30 seconds.  emptying the trash was instantaneous.  perhaps i
>wasn't able to observe the problem because i transferred the entire
>contents of a folder and an empty folder doesn't require
>reindexing?  fwiw, ..

I'm not sure it is only on OS/2, I'll have to try on a win box but I
get most stuff here so I'll talk about another possibility I'll find
hard to test on win.

Most of my accounts have the option set to delete messages in trash
that have been there for 7 days. That way if i have to go back and
untrash something it will probably be there. I read messages using F8
to delete and move up and sometimes I delete a second one accidentally.

As I almost never shut down PMM and I get hundreds of mails a day the
trash can be thousands deep and when I do shut down PMM has to inspect
each candidate for trashing to see if it is time to go. Bingo! CPU pegs
100% with slight falls and rises for hours.

I could imagine that happening in win too. As Bruce has said it really
needs to happen as a low priority cron job.

HAND

From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?