[pmmail-list] time to clear trash - performance

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 01:27:48 -0700 (PDT)

My reply to message from PMMail OS/2 Support sent on
Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:57:12 -0300 (ADT). You wrote:

>Obviously the "check if older than" function slows things down (by
>about 7 times). However, at only 10 minutes to process > 3,000
>messages, I have to wonder how much this could be sped up. The
>software must read part of each message, after all, rather than just
>deleting it. I will ask Peter.

Roughly about 5 seconds per message. Very slow. I disagree that the
software must read part of each message. The <Trash> folder <folder.bag>
file contains all the required information i.e. message date (third field
of each record) and the message file name ( eleventh field of each
record). Parse the <folder.bag> file for qualifying message records.
Non-qualifying records can be written to a temporary file in the same
folder. A qualifying record has the file name to delete. Delete the file.
When the entire <folder.bag> file has been parsed, close the file and
delete. Rename the temporary file as the new <folder.bag> file. Done. Only
one file is read once and one file is written once.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris