[pmmail-list] PGP setup problems.... (again)

Winfried Tilanus pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:28:36 +0200 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:38:58 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>>My experience is that PMMAIL does not call PGP from the "command line".  I have
>>PGP installed and I do not have PGP in my path.  In other words, I cannot type PGP
>>at a command line and have it work.  However, PMMAIL found PGP on my disk and
>>uses PGP just fine.  I have PGP installed in F:/PGP.  All the executables, config files,
>
>PGP for OS/2 must be installed according to the instructions (which
>includes specifying a PGPPath statement) before PMMail for OS/2 will
>see it. PMMail does not, to my knowledge, search your hard disk for
>any PGP executables unless something in the config.sys alerts it that
>PGP is "installed".

Well,

I did some hacking to find out how PMMail finds pgp and how it looks
for its version. (don't ask what it took, but I did it...)

At startup PMMail/2 looks in the directory pointed to by the pgppath if
it can find pgp.exe and pgpk.exe.

If any pgppath is present, pmmail searches that directory for pgp.exe
and pgpk.exe

- if none of them is present there, it assumes there is pgp 2.6.x
installed and tries to call it according to the path.
- if only pgp.exe is present there, it assumes it is pgp 2.6.x and
calls it from the pgppath directory
- if it can also find pgpk.exe there, it assumes it is pgp 5.0 and
calls it from the pgppath directory

So this goes right if pgp 2.6.x is installed OR if pgp 5.0 executables
are present in the pgppath directory. If you have, like me, pgp 5.0
installed, but NOT in the pgppath directory (a legal setup according to
the pgp docs) PMMail falsely assumes you have pgp 2.6.x and calls pgp
5.0 executables with the 2.6.x commandline arguments, which of course
fails.

So I have now, as workaround, copied the pgp 5.0 executables to my data
partition (so they will be part of my data backups too...). I think
this should be filed as a bug.

Best wishes,
Winfried

--