[pmmail-list] Substitute Text Editor

Clueless in Seattle pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:10:34 -0700

Phil Kane wrote:

>   I've been using an external text editor (The Semware Editor) with
>   PMMail (OS/2 and Windows) for many years and have never had problems
>   using it for both reading and composing messages.

That's great news!  I've taken the trial version of PMMail (Windows
version) for a spin and my first impression is that I'm already in
love with it :-)  (Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay the
license fee.  I've become increasingly disabled over the last ten
years by an insidious and little understood chronic illness and have
been unable to work vor over a year, and last month had to hit my IRA
to cover the bills  :-(

But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.  For now I've got the
remainder of the 45 day trial period in which to learn as much about
PMMail as much as I can.   I'm really impressed by the quantity and
quality of the messages my single query generated so I'm confident
that I've come to the right place for help.  (It's funny, but
different software products seem to attract distinct personality
types.  When I posted messages to the newsgroup for another email
program -- which will remain unnamed -- my queries were either
completely ignored or generated streams of abusive flames attacking me
because I was so ignorant.  But I digress....)

So, getting back to the topic at hand:

1.  Which Semware do you use?  I've got TSE for DOS and VDE (another
DOS text editor).  I think VDE might be a good choice for my PMMail
external editor because it uses the WordStar editing commands (I'm
showing my age aren't I?)

2.  Here's how far I've gotten:

	a.  Set PMMail to use VDE as my external editor

	b.  Opened the "New Message" window in PMMail.

	c.  Entered an email address & subject, hit the return key and was
delighted to see VDE open in a DOS box.

	d.  I typed a test message in VDE.

	e.  But now I don't know how to send the message.  The "New Message"
window seems to have vanished from my screen and Windows 95 taskbar.
So what do I do now?