[pmmail-list] time to clear trash - performance

Bruce Francis pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:48:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:18:31 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:18:14 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Francis wrote:
>>I was trying to figure that out myself -- I cannot figure out what it
>>is doing fo _5_seconds_ per message .... ?    Huge amount of computer time...
>
>It is probably removing an entry, sorting the .bag file by moving each
>entry after the one removed up a line and then saving the .bag file,
>then repeating the same cycle.
>
>This could take a while, file operations tend to be slow if the disk is
>involved, faster to do it all in memory!

Still pretty incredible (unless they're doing an on-disk sort <argh>)....
I've got a full SCSI_wide_ disk system, dual disks, with apps and os's
sorted among the spindles to thoroughly minimize seek times.

Anyway, the whole problem is so annoying that I put off reading,
and therefor deleting, large email lists.  Of course this in turn just makes
it worse when I have to delete 4-5,000 msgs....   :(