[pmmail-list] Sending mails

Kenn Yuill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:41:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Bruce Francis,

I think that Steve's point may be that the Outbox is only a temporary
repository for e-mail, while the program awaits the next opportunity to
send e-mail and move it into the "Sent" folder.  Therefore, its
properties should reflect its role at all times, that of showing the
user if this cycle has been completed and the user should be disallowed
from interfering with this prime function.
I have to agree with him that the Outbox should show its contents at
all times and this property should not be optional.

The following does not relate directly to the Subject and may be
ignored as it contains some thoughts on an associated topic.

A similar setup could be made for incoming e-mail with an Inbox and
"Received" folder, where all e-mail would pass through the Inbox to be
filtered to other folders or sent to the "Received" folder, if it was
received in good order, i.e. readable and no further action was to be
taken on it.  The "Outbox" & "Inbox" folders would be locked to the
Message Composer while e-mail was being sent and to the Message Reader
while e-mail was being received.  Any e-mail, left in the Outbox after
a Send order or in the Inbox after a Fetch order, would generate an
error message and should be editable in order to correct the error
and/or recover its contents.  Any corrected e-mail would go through the
same process as if it is being sent or received, before being returned
to its appropriate folder.  Any defective e-mail  would be sent to an
Errors folder or the Trash folder, when the Composer or Reader is
closed, according to the user's choice.  Before closing, the Composer
should offer the option of creating a new message in which to place any
recovered contents.

Just my thoughts on this related topic.

Ciao,
    Kenn
This Original E-mail below, sent by Bruce Francis on Thu, 18 Oct 2001
12:43:39 -0400 (EDT) to pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com, stated:

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:32:17 -0400 (EDT), Ralph Cohen wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:22:54 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:
>
>>>My <Outbox> is set to 'Indicate Any Mail'.
>>
>>That's what is different.  You shouldn't need that on (or it should
always be on,
>>and not allow you to turn it off - for the Outbox only, of course).
>
>Oops, now you've lost me again.  Why "shouldn't" you need to set that
>option on in order for the folder to change colors when any mail is
>present?  Or, why shouldn't you be allowed to turn it off?

... and further:  If you turn it off, isn't the program doing EXACTLY
what you've told it to do?

 --Bruce
  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
Character is made by what you stand for;
reputation, by what you fall for.
    - Robert Quillen