[pmmail-list] Sending mails

Kenn Yuill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:44:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Ralph Cohen,

I have to agree on the flexibility of PMMail, as I can set it to handle
outgoing mail, as I want it to do and as you want as well.  There is a
queued e-mail in my Outbox at the moment and if I turn off "Show any
mail", the colour turns from red to buff, which is expected.  Now,
Steve expects the Outbox to turn red,
when I send this e-mail.  Let me test this feature and edit this
message to report the result.  Steve is correct as the Outbox turned
red and remains red as I edit this message, so there is an
inconsistency here.  PMMail overrode my setting and is likely treating
the Outbox differently than other folders, although I haven't checked
this behaviour.

Now, if I save this e-mail rather than sending it, PMMail should remove
it from the Outbox, turn its colour to buff and place this e-mail in
the Drafts folder.  Let's find out.  Nope, the Outbox is still red, so
this feature has turned into a _bug_, as PMMail shouldn't be polling
the Outbox for any e-mail, as there is another one there, but should
reverse the previous action in order to be consistent.

It's a matter of expectation.  I expect an e-mail client to _always_
show me if there is queued e-mail as a constant reminder and PMMail
complies.  However, you do not and can turn off this feature, but _only
after_ an e-mail has been queued.  PMMail allows this, so you are happy
with this dynamic feature, whereas Steve finds it inconsistent and so
do I.  I would prefer that a feature is either on or off at _all_
times.  However, I can set PMMail to conform to my expectation and
methods, so this bug is not a major concern, at the moment.

Oops, I have to amend that last statement, as PMMail ran this e-mail
through my tagline program, via a REXX script (Message Send Exit) a
second time, as it transferred it from the Drafts folder to the Outbox.
 The application of "Message Send Exit" should _not_ be applied a
second time for a draft e-mail, but _only_ after a new e-mail is either
sent or saved.  This is a _bug_, that I would like to see corrected and
should be renamed "New Message Exit".

Ciao,
    Kenn
The Original E-mail below, sent by Ralph Cohen on Thu, 18 Oct 2001
21:49:41 -0400 (EDT) to pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com, stated:

One of PMMail's great
strengths is that it has tremendous flexibility to allow me to handle
email the way that I want to -- not how someone else thinks I ought
to.

As far as I can tell, therefore, there is no bug with regard to the
Outbox indicating whether or not there are messages inside.  It is
operating exactly the way all the other folders operate and exactly
the
way I would expect it to operate.  If it operated any differently,
then
*THAT* would be a bug.<g>
  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
It is true that liberty is precious, but is it so precious it must be
rationed? - Tagline from Coolsig.com -

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
 - Albert Einstein