[pmmail-list] Sending mails

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:13:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:44:10 -0400 (EDT), Kenn Yuill wrote:

>I have to agree on the flexibility of PMMail, as I can set it to handle
>outgoing mail, as I want it to do and as you want as well.  There is a
>queued e-mail in my Outbox at the moment and if I turn off "Show any
>mail", the colour turns from red to buff, which is expected.

Hi Kenn.  Yes, that is exactly how it should work.

>Now,
>Steve expects the Outbox to turn red,
>when I send this e-mail.  Let me test this feature and edit this
>message to report the result.  Steve is correct as the Outbox turned
>red and remains red as I edit this message, so there is an
>inconsistency here.

What is your setting at this point.  Do you have the folder set to
indicate the presence of any mail?  If so, then he Outbox is red
because there is a message in it, whether you are editing it or not,
that is were the mail is located.  This is also working as expected.

>PMMail overrode my setting and is likely treating
>the Outbox differently than other folders, although I haven't checked
>this behaviour.

Please explain.  What setting was overridden?  Are you saying that you
had the "Indicate" option turned off but the folder still turned red?
If so, that would certainly be a bug.

>Now, if I save this e-mail rather than sending it, PMMail should remove
>it from the Outbox, turn its colour to buff and place this e-mail in
>the Drafts folder.  Let's find out.  Nope, the Outbox is still red, so
>this feature has turned into a _bug_, as PMMail shouldn't be polling
>the Outbox for any e-mail, as there is another one there, but should
>reverse the previous action in order to be consistent.

Wrong.  PMMail *SHOULD* be polling the Outbox folder for the presence
of *ANY* mail and if there is any in there and you have the Indicate
options turned on, then the folder should turn red.

>It's a matter of expectation.  I expect an e-mail client to _always_
>show me if there is queued e-mail as a constant reminder and PMMail
>complies.

You do have the option of setting up PMMail to do this so there is no
problem, right?

> However, you do not and can turn off this feature, but _only
>after_ an e-mail has been queued.

I don't understand what you are saying.  The "Folder Icon Indicates Any
Mail" feature can be changed at any time and has nothing to do with
whether or not an "e-mail has been queued".

>PMMail allows this, so you are happy
>with this dynamic feature, whereas Steve finds it inconsistent and so
>do I.

The only thing that I can see that is dynamic about this feature, is
that it responds to whether or not there  is any mail in the folder.
If there is, then the folder changes color.  If there isn't, then it
stays the default yellow color.  That's the way it is designed to work
which is why I expect it to work this way.  Where is the inconsistency?

>I would prefer that a feature is either on or off at _all_
>times.  However, I can set PMMail to conform to my expectation and
>methods, so this bug is not a major concern, at the moment.

The "Folder Icon Indicates Any Mail" feature *IS* either on or off at
_all_ times.  It can only be changed if you manually go into the
setting make the change.  It doesn't change itself, at least on my
system.

If the program is operating as designed then there is no bug.  If it is
configurable so that you can adjust it to operate the way you would
like it to operate, then that is a feature.

I have a feeling that I am still missing something here, so let me
state what I expect the Outbox folder to do based upon its settings,
and you can tell me whether or not your folder is acting in this way.
Perhaps this will better help me to understand the problem.

"Folder Icon Indicates Any Mail": Setting Selected (ON)
1.  Any mail in the folder causes the folder to turn red.
2.  If the folder is completely empty, the folder turns the default
yellow.

"Folder Icon Indicates Any Mail": Setting  not selected (ON)
1.  Any mail in the folder causes the folder to remain the default
yellow.
2.  If the folder is completely empty, the folder remains the default
yellow.

>Oops, I have to amend that last statement, as PMMail ran this e-mail
>through my tagline program, via a REXX script (Message Send Exit) a
>second time, as it transferred it from the Drafts folder to the Outbox.
> The application of "Message Send Exit" should _not_ be applied a
>second time for a draft e-mail, but _only_ after a new e-mail is either
>sent or saved.  This is a _bug_, that I would like to see corrected and
>should be renamed "New Message Exit".

This sounds like a totally different issue that maybe someone else
would like to jump and address because I don't currently use any
Message Send Exit scripts.

Ralph