[pmmail-list] crashes

Kenn Yuill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Paul,

Repeatable crashes occur here in ver. 2.20.2380 (demo.) for the
following conditions:

A message is opened in Folder, A
Focus is changed to Folder, B, which was opened to check an item,
Message in Folder B is opened and closed.
Focus is changed to first message in Folder A.
The button for the task, "View the message below the current message"
is selected.
PMMail/2 crashes immediately, with an entry in POPUPLOG.OS2 as follows.

10-26-2001  16:04:19  SYS3175  PID 002e  TID 0001  Slot 0083
E:\INTERNET\MAILNEWS\BPS\PMMAIL\PMMAIL.EXE
c0000005
00037f25
P1=00000001  P2=0000003f  P3=XXXXXXXX  P4=XXXXXXXX
EAX=ffffffff  EBX=80000205  ECX=1bff002c  EDX=00001208
ESI=00000000  EDI=00000000
DS=0053  DSACC=d0f3  DSLIM=1fffffff
ES=0053  ESACC=d0f3  ESLIM=1fffffff
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=139b  GSACC=10f3  GSLIM=00003fff
CS:EIP=005b:00037f25  CSACC=d0df  CSLIM=1fffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0018122c  SSACC=d0f3  SSLIM=1fffffff
EBP=0018129c  FLG=00012286

PMMAIL.EXE 0001:00027f25

Also, there was a memory leak, as reported by Paul, which seems more
severe under the memory manager HPFS386.IFS, @ 8 or 12 MB than with
HPFS.IFS @ 2 MB.
This may not be related to PMM, as there is a reluctance to release
allocated memory under HPFS386.IFS, after programs have closed, whereas
with HPFS.IFS, the memory is released almost immediately.

Highlighting is normal here, unless I missed the intent of the comment
below.  I presume that Paul is referring to manually highlighting any
address, not that any address in a message is automatically identified
by coloured text or underlining.

The existing HTML filter works very well for some messages and
partially for others where there is some text to be read.  Of course,
the present filter is ineffective for messages with no text and I agree
that these messages should be presented as an html attachment to be
viewed in a browser.

Ciao,
    Kenn
The Original E-mail below, sent by Paul D.J. de Vos on Sat, 27 Oct 2001
13:33:49 +0200 to pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com, stated:

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:02:31 -0400, jimmym@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
wrote:

| I would try it here, but PMMail 2.20.2380 is crashing occasionally
for
| some unknown reason, plus there may be a memory leak.  The total
memory
| in use is bumping up to 127 MB most of the time, with XWorkplace,

I am using the same version, but in the Win incarnation, and I get the
same
behaviour. Inexplicable crashes, often when I have finished composing
a message
and click send (fortunately, the message is saved before the crash)
but
sometimes also quite inexplicably, when the program is just sitting
there being
idle, and I perform some operation in another (unrelated) program. I
have not
actually lost any work so far, but it is annoying.

[Portions not relevant to this reply have been removed]

A minor quirk that I reported some while ago but which is still
present in
2.20.80 is that the blue highlighting of e-mail addresses is "off" to
the left
or the right by a number of positions (usually 5).

Finally, I would appreciate a HTML filter; not one that blocks HTML
messages,
but one that filters the text content and discards the HTML specific
code. Or,
some marker (a colour code or icon) by which it is possible to see
BEFORE
opening a message that it is in HTML format; you can then decide not
to open it
if it comes from some unknown source.

met vriendelijke groeten,
yours sincerely,

Paul D.J. de Vos
  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
 "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx