[pmmail-list] Moving Emails via REXX

Dr. Martin R. Hadam pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:29:19 +0100

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:38:46 -0400 (EDT), Kenn Yuill wrote:

 Thanks, Ken, for looking into my problem.

>Doesn't your REXX routine have to check if the database is available
>before sending the coded e-mails?  I presume that it does, so you are
>worrying about the e-mail in the pipeline, which you want to leave in
>the Inbox since the database is unavailable.  [...]

 For a number of reasons, the webserver and the machine processing the
emails have to be different different. So the email-receiving software
only "sees" emails coming in, filters them based on the subject line,
talks to the database, and sends out receipts  As this is all happening
on its own email account, I could process all this part entirely on its
own and wouldn't have to worry. But I prefer to have all my five email
accounts handled  by PMMail. Now, PMMail downloads new emails every x
seconds from our popserver. From this point, all control is taken over
by PMMail.

 I have no problem in moving the mail *.MSG file around using REXX -
but then I'll lose the "unread" icon PMMail and I need to reindex my
folder (every time...).

 What I was looking for is a solution to "branch" execution of commands
in a PMMail filter, e.g. depending on a REXX return code.

 I can always generate a logfile with all the relevant file names of
improperly processed files, which acts as kind of a semaphore for
another email processing demon. This is the way I'm going to embark on.
But again, I was more interested in exploiting PMMail's filter
capabilities - but it appears that it's impossible to do what I'm
looking for.

 Anyway, thanks a lot for your thougths.

 Martin

 Martin R. Hadam