[pmmail-list] PMMail mystery process pegs CPU

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 20:17:19 -0700

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:47:02 -0400 (EDT), Steve Marvin wrote:

>Actually it can, but the solution is really ugly:
>
>	Get one message per pop3 session (logon, getone, logoff).
>
>Told you it was ugly!

Ugly, but less so, is to log on, grab a few (not all) messages, then
log off. The number could be dynamic, just like the size of a TCP
window, based on the error rate. On a robust connection, one can always
download everything. On a flakey connection, one can download as many
as are likely to be downloaded successfully before the connection is
interrupted. (I ran into just this problem a few months ago when
@Home's local cable access point was going through one of its fits.)

It would be desirable if PMMail offered a setting for how many messages
to pull per session. This would default to infinity, but could be set
small for these kinds of circumstances.

Note that downloading less than all available is hard on servers, and
should be avoided unless necessary. (The server has to rewrite a new
mail file, instead of just deleting the whole thing.)

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]