[pmmail-list] Slowness Issues From Network Drive

Kevin Murphy pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 02 Sep 2001 11:51:56 -0400

Hello,

Since you guys have been so helpful recently in solving my problems with PMMail, I figured I'd hit you up with another one or two. :)

I run a WSeB file server, and have my PMMail installation stored here.  I use a Windows 2000 workstation to actually *run* PMMail 90% of the time.  I've noticed more and more so that this can be a
painfully slow thing to do.  For starters, it can take upwards of 1 minute to start PMMail, and deleting messages can take an excessively long time as well.  The particular file server of which I speak is a
K6-3/450 with 512mb RAM, and no other network related operations are slow at all, I host several other applications off this machine without a problem.  I also tried installing PMMail on both a Linux
SAMBA server and a Win2k Server just to see if the speed issue was there, and it wasn't.  I do notice that message reads are horribly slow from all servers, especially with large messages.  I have been
told of a way to fix this using a hex editor, but I was hoping that maybe Blueprint could somehow solve this without my needing to hack up the executable.

Also, since I've got you here, a bug that I've noticed for a long time, and have mentioned a number of times still has yet to be fixed.  It's related to urgent messages, and has caused me several times to
scream at people for setting their messages urgent, because it triggers this bug all the time.  I haven't been able to nail down all of the exact steps it takes to cause it, but I can mention two off the top
of my head.  When I have an urgent message in my Inbox, along with several other unread messages and I select only the unread messages (including the urgent message) and Mark As Read, they all
appear to be marked as read, however the folder icon remains green with a (1) next to it.  This also happens sometimes if I select the same messages and delete them.  I then try to reindex the folder to
fix it, which simply turns the folder icon yellow, but leaves the (1) next to it.  The only way to completely solve the problem is to close and reopen PMMail, which as I mentioned above can be painful at
times.

Thanks!