[pmmail-list] Share Address Book

Michael Rowe pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 09 Sep 2001 09:07:26 -0400

--=--==---==-==-=----=----==-==-=----=--=-===-=-=-
From: "Michael Rowe" <mrowe03@attglobal.net>
To: "pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com" <pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com>
Cc: "pmmail for windows" <pmmailwin@blueprintsoftwareworks.com>,
	"Trevor Smith" <trevor@haligonian.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 09:07:26 -0400
Subject: Re: [pmmail-list] Share Address Book

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4998448=_=_=_

I have over the years purchased or caused the purchase of many versions =
of
PMMail, both OS/2 and Windows.  I would love to see a LAN aware version =
so
that I could share address books between my wife's copy, my OS/2 Copy an=
My windows Copy on my local LAN at home.

Michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Mike Kilroy
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 08:35:23 -0400

I too would like a network version so we can share address book. If
someone else runs MY copy of Pmmail, then I can no longer SEE any text i=
any messages until I close pmmail and reopen it. So, no, running one cop=
from more than 1 location does not work. On the otherhand, anyone can ru=
a copy across the network as long as they are the only one running it at=

the time.

I have a routine run once per day where it copies MY TOOL directory to
everyone elses tool directory, so we all have the same address book. Onl=
problem is that I'm the only one whoever updates or adds to it - not a
good solution. I have put icon on everyone's desk to run my pmmail and
hence be able to update the address book, but they dont do.

So, again, a network version would be nice - or just as nice to me would=

be a SEMI-NETWORK version: allow us to tell where the TOOL directory is
and SHARE it ONLY would be sufficient. Perhaps this would be easy enough=

to do to make it happen? What cha think Trevor?

On Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:00:17 +0200 (MSZ), Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:38:07 +1100 (EDT), Dr Graham Norton FRACP
>Neurologist wrote:
>
>>we have 3 licences for PMMail for OS2 at work and whilst I know that P=
MMail is not
>>a true "network aware" product - you told me so (!) and I therefore sh=
ould run the 3
>>'clients' from the local workstations, is it still possible to share a=
 common -
>>Address Book - this would at least be a greatly efficient improvement?=

>One possible solution might be to set up PMMail as an network app, and
>if necessary password protect the accounts. Maybe PMMail won't work due=

>to locked files on more than one Computer at the same time, but if it
>does ist should meet your request. Just try.
>

>Gru=E1 Greetings
> Boris Kirkorowicz
>

>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------
>line of the message body being...

Mike, AC8V

              \\|//
           (  o . o  )
-----o00o------(_)------o00o-----

Proudly running OS/2 for Over 8 years!
ICQ - 61,101,504

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 3EA1 D257 5E69 6339  A559 5953 66CE 4D22

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4998448=_=_=_

<HTML>

<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman" DEFAULT=3D"FACE"><FONT SIZE=3D"3" POINTSI=
ZE=3D"12" DEFAULT=3D"SIZE">I have over the years purchased or caused the=
 purchase of many versions of PMMail, both OS/2 and Windows.  I would lo=
ve to see a LAN aware version so that I could share address books betwee=
n my wife's copy, my OS/2 Copy and My windows Copy on my local LAN at ho=
me.<BR>
<BR>
Michael<BR>
<BR>
--Original Message Text---<BR>
<B>From:</B> Mike Kilroy<BR>
<B>Date:</B> Sun, 09 Sep 2001 08:35:23 -0400<BR>
<BR>
I too would like a network version so we can share address book. If some=
one else runs MY copy of Pmmail, then I can no longer SEE any text in an=
y messages until I close pmmail and reopen it. So, no, running one copy =
from more than 1 location does not work. On the otherhand, anyone can ru=
n a copy across the network as long as they are the only one running it =
at the time.<BR>
<BR>
I have a routine run once per day where it copies MY TOOL directory to e=
veryone elses tool directory, so we all have the same address book. Only=
 problem is that I'm the only one whoever updates or adds to it - not a =
good solution. I have put icon on everyone's desk to run my pmmail and h=
ence be able to update the address book, but they dont do.<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D800000>So, again, a network version would be nice - or jus=
t as nice to me would be a SEMI-NETWORK version: allow us to tell where =
the TOOL directory is and SHARE it ONLY would be sufficient. Perhaps thi=
s would be easy enough to do to make it happen? What cha think Trevor?<B=

<FONT COLOR=3D000000 DEFAULT=3D"COLOR"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On Sun, 09 Sep 2001 12:00:17 +0200 (MSZ), Boris Kirkorowicz wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt;On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:38:07 +1100 (EDT), Dr Graham Norton FRACP<BR>=

&gt;Neurologist wrote:<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;&gt;we have 3 licences for PMMail for OS2 at work and whilst I know =
that PMMail is not <BR>
&gt;&gt;a true "network aware" product - you told me so (!) and I theref=
ore should run the 3 <BR>
&gt;&gt;'clients' from the local workstations, is it still possible to s=
hare a common - <BR>
&gt;&gt;Address Book - this would at least be a greatly efficient improv=
ement?<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;One possible solution might be to set up PMMail as an network app, a=
nd<BR>
&gt;if necessary password protect the accounts. Maybe PMMail won't work =
due<BR>
&gt;to locked files on more than one Computer at the same time, but if i=
t<BR>
&gt;does ist should meet your request. Just try.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;Gru=E1 Greetings<BR>
&gt; Boris Kirkorowicz<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List -------------------------=
--<BR>
&gt;To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to mdaemon@bmtmicro.com with the firs=
t <BR>
&gt;line of the message body being...<BR>
&gt;UNSUBSCRIBE pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Mike, AC8V<BR>
<BR>
              \\|//<BR>
           (  o . o  )<BR>
-----o00o------(_)------o00o-----<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
                        <BR>
<BR>

</HTML>

<HTML>
<LEFT>
<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman" COLOR=3D"#000001" SIZE=3D"3" POINTSIZE=3D=
"12" DEFAULT=3D"ALL">
Proudly&nbsp;running&nbsp;OS/2&nbsp;for&nbsp;Over&nbsp;8&nbsp;years!<br>=

ICQ&nbsp;-&nbsp;61,101,504</HTML>
PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 3EA1 D257 5E69 6339  A559 5953 66CE 4D22

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4998448=_=_=_--

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: PGPsdk version 1.7.1 (C) 1997-1999 Network Associates, Inc. and its affiliated companies.

iQA/AwUBO5tpjmbOTSJsxknTEQKcowCeM19sKPGKdlz0EvpebBhiItOmZb0AoPtA
fB+Mhy65wV0LmcDQ0J7jD5Y1
=QIN6
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----