[pmmail-list] PMMail doesn't generate Message-Id

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:30:16 +0100

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:08:23 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:32:36 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>If they read RFC822 they will see that the first server in the chain
>>MUST add a MessageID if one is not already present. All mail must have
>>a globally unique ID.
>
>I think some of us discussed it one time and decided that the methods
>most clients use can not _guarantee_ "unique" IDs. But they are very
>likely.

And how can a server do any better? Usual method is to use some date
based data, something keyed to hardware IDs (ethernet MAC address?) and
hostname or fqdn.

Not much chance of duplication there.

              do you know how far this has gone?
               just how damaged have I become?