[pmmail-list] PMMail doesn't generate Message-Id

Martin Jansen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:38:46 +0200

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:30:16 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:08:23 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:32:36 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>>
>>>If they read RFC822 they will see that the first server in the chain
>>>MUST add a MessageID if one is not already present. All mail must have
>>>a globally unique ID.
>>
>>I think some of us discussed it one time and decided that the methods
>>most clients use can not _guarantee_ "unique" IDs. But they are very
>>likely.
>
>And how can a server do any better?

In _every_ programming language there are methods to generate nearly
unique IDs. The probability that there will the same ID once again
is lower than the probability that I win the lottery twice in a row.
And thus, it is negligible. So I don't see a real problem there.

- Martin