[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:52:44 -0400

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 08:17:17 +0200 (MES), Lueko Willms wrote:
>
> >  I think, the best solution is to use the main part of the filename
> >of the message to form a directory name and put all attachments to
> >that file in that directory.

I have a somewhat theoretical question for everyone relating to this.
How important is it that when you open an attached file, it have
exactly the name that was in the message? Obviously it is very
important to maintain the extension. Assuming long names are valid in
the TEMP directory, would it matter to you when you double-click on
"license.doc" that the file that is opened is "license_48754.doc"? It
seems that for the most part giving each attachment a unique name when
it is opened is cleaner than creating hundreds of directories. The big
drawback, of course, is that the file name is not exactly what you
thought you were opening. This might be be seen as an advantage,
however, especially for people who don't really understand how
attachments work. For example, my wife once did significant edits in a
word processing document that was attached, then wondered where they
went when she opened it later (fyi, she was using Pegasus, not PMMail).
I think having a file name that looks more like a temporary file could
help prevent mistakes like that.

I'm not recommending this as a solution, but I'm curious about how it
fits in with how people deal with attachments and whether it would work
as a solution.