[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:15:47 +0200 (MES)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:52:44 -0400, John Swartzentruber wrote:

> I have a somewhat theoretical question for everyone relating to this.
> How important is it that when you open an attached file, it have
> exactly the name that was in the message?

  It makes life easier.

  Example -- the attachement is a JPEG file. I get PMMail to open it,
which launches PMView (the original product of the curreent PMMail
programmer), the window header shows the filename. It makes more
sense when the actual filename the sender gave it appears there
instead of some dreamed up, arbitrary filename created just to be
unique among thousands of separate messages.

  Also, keeping the original filename makes it easier to copy or move
the detached file to another directory without changing the filename
manually and introducing new errors instead.

  Introducing arbitrary filenames forces the mail program to maintain
a link between the message and the detached attachment's file name,
so that it can be found again and re-converted back to the file name
given in the MIME header.

  The easiest way to maintain this relation is a subdirectory in the
folder directory of the message file with a directory name which is
nearly the same as the message file (except for the extension).

  Yes, it is a very very very bad idea, to put all the attachments of
thousands of messages into one single directory and break your head
with all the problems of getting the names unique across these
thousands of messages.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main