[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

My reply to message from Jimmy S. McCorquodale, Jr. sent on
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:51:31 -0400. You wrote:

>In all bug reports I have recieved from users, over the past two years (including compiled lists from the mailing lists)  I haven't seen anythign about this prior to today.  I have added it to the bug list.

One solution is to purge the TEMP folder of latent files. Alternatively,
opening an attachment replaces a preexisting file of the same name. This
same process should be used anytime a detach process is executed such as
forwarding a message with an attachment.

My reply to message from Carl Gehr sent on
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 04:40:04 -0400 (EDT). You wrote:

>I have the option checked, but to be honest, I have NO IDEA what
>	"...Verify Attachment Decode..."
>really means.  The Help text does not provide any interpretation.  To
>me, 'verifications' are usually good.  So, I left it as it was.  What
>have I requested?

If 'Verify Attachment Decode When Duplicate Filename
Exists ' is selected PMMail will warn you of a filename conflict anytime
you open or save an attachment. This function is not called when a message
is forwarded from the RMB pop up window list or a viewed message is
forwarded without viewing its attachment(s). This function should be
executed anytime PMMail detaches an attachment.

My reply to message from PMMail OS/2 Support sent on
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:46:41 -0300. You wrote:

>If you receive a message with an attachment named "file.txt" and you
>open it, it is saved in your TEMP folder. If you later receive
>another message with an attachment of identical name, PMMail will ask
>you if it should show you the previously saved file (in your TEMP
>folder) or if it should decode this (possibly new) attachment.

It applies to opening or saving an attachment when a filename conflict
exists regardless of directory. It should, however, apply whenever PMMail
executes a detach process for an attachment. This includes forwarding a
message since PMMail designers chose to detach attachments as part of the
forwarding process.

Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:01:38 -0400 (EDT). You wrote:

>So, everyone should be WARNED!  LOUDLY!
>
>Just because you click on an attachment because you want to LOOK AT
>THAT ATTACHMENT, PMMail may open a DIFFERENT FILE and *NOT TELL >YOU* unless you have this box checked!!!!
>
>I can see NO justification for EVER DOING THIS!

No! Keep the facts straight. Viewing an attachment works just fine. If you
have 'Verify Attachment Decode...' active, PMMail will warn you about a
filename conflict. This should also occur when forwarding a message with
attachment since the designers chose to execute a detach process as part
of forwarding messages. That's the problem.

>Frankly, I would prefer to see that TEMP directory CLEANED OUT WHENEVER
>THE FILE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE *TEMPORARILY* STORED THERE IS >*CLOSED*.  "Temporary" means it is *NOT* supposed to stay around.  But, the >fact is, the files stored there WILL STAY until you terminate PMMail.

I agree but many other programs do the same thing.

My reply to message from Gene Gough sent on
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:30:50 -0400. You wrote:

>This might be related to the problem where when you get several messages with >attachments, the first
>message will show it's attachment properly, the second message shows it's >attachment and the attachment
>from the previous message.  ETC.....   This does not happen every time but it >happens enough to be a
>significant problem.

I doubt it since I can replicate the forwarding with attachment problem
but have never encountered your reported problem and cannot replicate it.

My reply to message from John Swartzentruber sent on
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:51:55 -0400. You wrote:

>Although I agree with your main points, you have never suggested how
>PMMail will know when the file is closed?

How about each time a message read window is closed. The file system will
block a deletion if any file is still in use and return a status code to
PMMail.

Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:01:56 -0300. You wrote:

>You are arbitrarily deciding for everyone what the definition of "no
>longer needed" is.

No longer needed is when the message read window is closed. How would
PMMail know that the file sitting in the 'temp' folder belongs to a
particular message unless the message filename is stored with it. It can't
since another message could have an attachment with the same filename.
Thus the present message forwarding problem.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris