[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:15:21 -0400 (EDT)

Not so fast!!!!  You are guilty of the word 'AssUMe' by thinking you
know how every user operates their environment.  Well, you are
completely wrong!

I regularly do the following:
[Only one example.  There are many others.]

* I have a TPad that has limited HD space.  So, I do not have packages
such as SmartSuite for OS/2 installed on it.
* I received a Word for Windoze document.  [Identified by the *.doc
file name.]
* Since I know that I cannot read these on the TPad, I simply forward
the message to my desktop system where I do have SmartSuite installed.

Do I try to open the attachment on the TPad?  NO!  There is absolutely
NO REASON for me to attempt to open the file.  I KNOW it will FAIL.

So, are telling me that I should EXPECT to get whatever random file
that might be left in the d:\...\PMMAIL\TEMP file because PMMail/2 is
not smart enough to IGNORE what is on TEMP and just SEND WHAT IS
ATTACHED TO THE MESSAGE that I am forwarding?!?!?!?

Sorry, that is PURE GARBAGE!  It is poor design!  It is NOT the failure
of any operator action.  If there were ever a violation of the "Rule of
Least Astonishment" this is it!  And, I do not care WHAT the
performance is on even the slowest and oldest PC.

This problem must be fixed!  [And, as I promised Trevor, I will NOT
suggest HOW.  I do not care how.  I just want it fixed!]