[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:33:51 +0200 (MES)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:59:56 +0200 (CEST), Frank Winkler @home wrote:

>  >   Again, I think that putting all the attachements of all messages
>  >of all folders into one single directory is a very bad idea.
>
> Who said that all files shall be placed in one single directory?

   That is the status quo. Do you want to keep this status quo?

>                                                             I just said
> that those suspicious subdirectories should be placed somewhere else ... but
> even better to avoid all those files ...

   Sure, the attachment should be converted into a file only when
there is a need for it.

   But then we need a) to avoid that files with the same names across
messages get confused; b) ensure a relationship between the
attachment and the original message which contained this attachment.

   I still have heard of no better solution than to create a folder
with the messages file name in the message file's directory to take
up the detached attachments. This fulfills all requirements and is
easy to maintain. A true delete of the message not only deletes the
message file, but also a directory that might exist with the same
name (or the trunc of the name).

   When this subdirectory is placed somewhere else -- how can you
keep track of which directory belongs to which message? One needs a
separate config file for this, and this can get corrupted. The
easiest is to rely on the operating system to maintain the
relationship. Easy. Simple. Safe.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main