[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:20:54 +0200 (MEST)

John Swartzentruber schrieb:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:21:34 +0200 (MEST),
> Lueko.Willms@t-online.de
> wrote:
>
> >  I don't understand at all why this should cause "two
> copies of every
> >attachment" being created?!
>
> One in the original message and one in the directory with
> the same name as the original message.

  This is unavoidable if you want to view or process the attachment.

  BTW, I did suggest not to use the filename of the message as the
directory name, but to use ATT as file name extension instead of MSG.
Any way, it would make it very easy to record the relationship between
message and detached attachments. The detached attachment can then be
moved to another directory without unpacking it again.

> I'm assuming that the text of the original
> message with the encoded attachment is not being
> modified.

   Me too.

> If it were
> and this text were removed, the message files could not
> be transferred
> between accounts with the smtp solution for example. I
> want the original message to be maintained.

  Me too.

  But I think that it is now crystal clear that the deposit of the
detached attachment in a TEMP directory without any relation to which
message that file belongs is creating problems. So I suggested the --
in my opinion -- easiest way to avoid this problem and to record the
relation between message and detached attachments.

  This would create the possibility and the necessity of an additional
housekeeping command in PMMail, i.e. to delete any (or all) detached
attachment files without deleting the message itself.

Yours,
L.Willms