[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:36:52 +0200 (MEST)

Carl Gehr schrieb:

> Lueko.Willms@t-online.de wrote:

  on creating a file copy of the attachment:

> >  This is unavoidable if you want to view or process the
> > attachment.
>
> WHY is is 'unavoidable?'  I see no reason why these
> 'named' files even need to be created.

  I see only one way to avoid this: That the MIME-Unpack process writes
into a pipe and the receiving program is able to read from standard
input which is redirected to this pipe, like in a

   MUNPACK.EXE abcdefg.MSG | PMVIEW.EXE

  I doubt that e.g. PMView is able to read an image form standard
input. Other programs might also not be able to do it but require a
filename as parameter to process the contents of that file.

  Under Windows I use UltraEdit for editing and viewing text; Ultraedit
is capable of processing very large files which are (as far as I know)
not read into memory completely, but only read from the actual disk
file; so it needs a disk file for this.

  So I see a lot of trouble coming up if this way is chosen. It would
probably be better than creating files and handing these files over to
the processor, I agree with you about that, but I fear it will
seriously limit the choice of possible programs.

  And the solution should work on both OS/2 and Windows.

Yours,
L.Willms