[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

My reply to message from Carl Gehr sent on
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:14:54 -0400 (EDT). You wrote:

>But, you are making the ASSUMPTION that a file must be created; and
>that when it is created, it must be a 'permanent' file.  [I do not even
>accept that a file is required, but that is a different issue that I
>addressed in another post.]  The problem is that the file that is
>created is not DELETED by the same process that created it when the
>process goes away.

Care to share HOW you would pass information to multiple unknown external
applications and call the correct application for the information WITHOUT
creating a 'file'? Files created in the 'temp' directory ARE NOT
permanent. The longest life span is the current session of PMMail since
the entire directory goes away when PMMail is closed. Some of the files
are reused (requires deletion) except in an isolated case where bounce
would be the better option. If the information is not important enough for
you to open and review then it is NOT important enough to send to me.
Reviewing before forwarding method works flawlessly.

>PMMail even goes further than that.  If I open a new message and attach
>a file to it for transmission, PMMail makes a COPY of the file and PUTS
>IT IN THE ..\PMMAIL\TEMP DIRECTORY!  And, it does this even if the file
>is NEVER VIEWED or processed by the sender.  It certainly does NOT need
>a COPY of the file to decode it into the outbound message!

'Attaching' a file requires processing it. PMMail MIME encodes it and
appends it to the outbound message body. What about multiple attachments?
Do you want PMMail to transmit an incomplete message. Placing it in the
OUTBOX folder could cause this to occur with timed transmissions. What if
you change your mind and want to remove an attachment? Are you suggesting
that all of the possible permutations of creating an outgoing message be
cached to memory? It also permits recover should PMMail or your PC crashes
for some reason.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris