[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:16:14 -0700 (PDT)

My reply to message from Carl Gehr sent on
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:46:43 -0400 (EDT). You wrote:

>Gee! It is so nice that you can make up YOUR OWN answers to questions
>that you ASK TO ME!

Carl, they are called rhetorical questions. I didn't expect you to answer
them.

>> Do you need to modify the
>>>message? No!
>
>YES!  THE ****MESSAGE**** NOT the ****ATTACHMENT****
>I CANNOT modify OR READ the attachment!  I do NOT HAVE THE SOFTWARE ON
>THE E-MAIL SYSTEM!  What is it about this concept that you do not
>understand?!?

Carl, I reviewed your posted example. I found no statement about modifying
the body of the message. The example, as posted, fits the criteria for
'bouncing' the message. I understand that you cannot open the attachment.
That point is independent of my opinion that 'forwarding a message without
review' is an improper use of the function. PMMail being a powerful
flexible tool does provide you the ability to do it. Since it does, the
function should be implemented without causing data corruption. This IS
NOT the first time I've said so.

>>SOMEONE ELSE
>>>who may benefit from the information
>
>The "someone else" is ****ME****.  It is just on ANOTHER SYSTEM THAT
>HAS THE SOFTWARE THAT CAN READ AND "BENEFIT" from READING IT.  But, I
>MUST BE ASSURED THAT THE FILE THAT IS SENT IS THE ONE I RECEIVED!  The
>current design/implementation DOES NOT PROVIDE THIS ASSURANCE!

I am not in disagreement with that point. I am in disagreement it seems
with using the 'forwarding' function without reviewing the message. Not
having the tool to open the attachment does not preclude you from saving
it.

>>Do you need to send comments to yourself on
>>>what you received?
>
>YES! Sometimes I want to add a comment/reminder to myself.  It might be
>a memory jogger or reference to a phone call that caused the file to be
>sent!  The reason is not pertinent!  Just the YES is adequate to render
>the design FAULTY!

See above comments. Alternatively, you can a) write your comments in a new
message and move the attachment to the new message or b) write your
comments in a new message and attach the entire received message.

>>I suggest BOUNCING it.
>
>Maybe it works for YOU!  BUT THAT IS YOU!  It is NOT the rest of us who
>seem to be _almost_ unanimous in disagreeing with you.

I have used this tool since its initial availability. I am familiar with
it and I believe I use it properly. This debate isn't about ME. It is
about the tool and its proper use. I speak only for myself. I do not
presume to speak for the list as the above statement seems to do. About a
dozen members have commented. Most of those comments related to fixing the
problem. I have seen very few members disagreeing with my point about its
use. Members may disagree with me on how to use the tool but not on the
existence of a problem since I have acknowledge that a data corruption
problem does exist with the current implementation. Since IMO I use the
tool properly, I never encounter the problem. I spent time deliberately
recreating the problem to verify it even though it has not impacted me. In
addition, TMK, I am the only one to have provided to the list a means of
circumventing the problem until BSW fixes it.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris