[pmmail-list] PMMAIL 2.20.2380 file corruption (forwards with attachments)

Kris Sorem Sr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:34:06 -0700 (PDT)

My reply to message from Carl Gehr sent on
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:51:38 -0400 (EDT). You wrote:

>If YOU cannot change it...
>And, I cannot change it...

I probably should have said _will not_ rather than _cannot_. I could with
the proper tools change it but I respect copyright laws.

>I suggest that you/we accept that SOME OF US DO want it changed and
>allow those who CAN CHANGE IT do what they have been PAID to do.
>Provide a quality product that does not compromise the data that is
>presented to it!

:) I am not in a position to stop it from being changed nor is it accurate
to say that I am trying to stop it from being changed. I haven't at any
point said that I don't want the current implementation corrected to fix
data corruption. The ONLY point I've made is that to encounter and achieve
data corruption requires the *inappropriate* use of the forwarding
function. I stand by that opinion.

>You have done a lot of assuming about what the developers thought
>process was and about how the rest of us use the product.  It may fit
>for YOU.  But there are obviously others of us who disagree.

As best as I can recall, I made a single statement about the intent of the
designers and at the same time stated that I may be wrong about that
single assumption. I have repeatedly stated my opinion on the use of a
particular function. I have not made this debate personal. I have not
specifically addressed any individual's use of the product on or off this
list.

Early on in this debate before I had verified the isolated problem of data
corruption, I stated that I did not know why the designers chose to detach
and reattach as part of the forwarding function. If I had implemented this
function, I would have parsed the message into message body and
MIME-encoded attachment(s). The message body could then be quoted and
comments added. The MIME-encoded attachment(s) could then be appended to
the newly formed message. No attachment file needs to be decoded and
created in this process. I still see no reason to decode an attachment and
create an attachment file except to open or save that file.
--
JMO,
/s/~Kris