[pmmail-list] IMAP. When?

Bernie Maier pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:55:37 +1000

Rod... Whitworth wrote:

> Bernie,
> I can't speak for BPSW.
>
> However I can tell you that you were really right about one thing: IMAP
> ain't easy! As a result it probably won't happen RSN. Server developers
> I speak to hate it because (they say) the RFC is a mess and the writer
> (or principal author) is not easy to pin down on definitions etc etc.

That probably explains the random glitches I get here at work, as I
use an IMAP client for work email.

> When I travel I like to be able to get my mail too. My work around is
> to have a principal machine at home that is where I keep the master
> files of mail. When I'm away from home I shut down PMmail on it so that
> the mail stays on the server.

> Then I connect with my laptop or on my desktop at a client site and run
> a copy of PMmail that collects mail but leaves it on the server. That
> way I get it all where I want it filed later.

I could possibly set up something along those lines.  Unfortunately,
you then miss out on remote folder manipulation and filtering.

> I don't bother with most lists when I'm away because  some of them hit
> 50+ messages overnight. It is pretty brutal when I get home from a 2
> week stint and I'm pruning the list mail!

> Do you have a choice of POP or IMAP? How about remote sends?

My ISP supports both.  And remote sends is a different issue from IMAP
anyway, isn't it.  It's all SMTP for me.

Thanks for the response.  I guess what I'd really like to hear is that
they've started work on it, as if they haven't it's going to be a really
long way off.  Which would be a shame.

Cheers,

     Bernie