[pmmail-list] HTML email

David M. Nelson pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 08:58:08 -0700

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 23:57:08 +1200, Richard Grevers wrote:

[snip]
>2) I would dearly love to have more choice when it comes to viewing
>HTML email. My suggestion is a toggle button on the read window, with three states:
>  i  :  Parse and display supported HTML
>  ii :  Display as plaintext (all markup elided)

Or better yet, rather than having to elide HTML markup in the text/html
multipart section, give the user the choice to view the text/plain
section in a multipart/alternative document by default.

Quoting RFC2046:

   Systems should recognize that the content of the various parts are
   interchangeable.  Systems should choose the "best" type based on the
   local environment and references, in some cases even through user
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   interaction.  As with "multipart/mixed", the order of body parts is

   significant.  In this case, the alternatives appear in an order of
   increasing faithfulness to the original content.  In general, the
   best choice is the LAST part of a type supported by the recipient
   system's local environment.

>  iii:  Display as source (plaintext with tags shown)
[snip]

Regards,
David M. Nelson