[pmmail-list] Error in message download status line?

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:07:26 -0400

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:16:48 -0400, Wayne Dunham wrote:

>  Are you using Norton AntiVirus to check incoming mail?  If so that's
>probably the problem.  I noticed this behavior after installing Norton
>AV from Norton System Works 2002, and I'm still running 2.20.2402.  My
>numbers look similar to what you're seeing and the all of a sudden the
>thing jumps way up.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the way
>that it gets fed the file from the Norton AV servers.
>

>     Wayne Dunham

Yes, Wayne, that's probably it. You're right that Norton AV does step
into the middle between PMMail and the mail server and do its
antivirus checking ...

Still, it could be a problem that could be fixed if Norton and PMMail
could get together and share the percent received information.  That
is, Norton probably is receiving the bytes of the email into a safe
place to perform their checks ... I can see that the email is coming
in during the delay time ... perhaps Norton could be persuaded to
make the received kb count available to mail managers so they can
correctly report status.

Perhaps they already do this ... and PMMail doesn't take advantage of
the information?  If it's really Norton, it's hard to believe that
the problem doesn't affect all the other mail managers out there.

Thanks for explaining my symptoms.

Steve Barber
104 Sylvan Grove
Cary, NC 27511