[pmmail-list] Error in message download status line?

Warner Young pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:49:05 -0700

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:16:48 -0400, Wayne Dunham wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:32:55 -0400, Steve Barber wrote:
>
>>The status line that indicates the percentage that's been received of
>>large messages coming in appears to report the download status
>>incorrectly ... specifically it calculates the percentage complete by
>>dividing the amount downloaded already by the total expected amount
>>to be downloaded ... but the percent complete is almost always 0%.
>>The message  looks like this:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>The percent complete may be correctly calculated but is always wrong
>>(0) because of  the erroneous numerator.
>>
>>In this case (a 401kb download) the download finished when the
>>numerator reached 0.6kb)
>>
>>At first I thought the numerator was 1/1000 of it's actual value, but
>>if that were true the download should have finished shortly after the
>>numerator hit 0.4kb instead of 0.6kb, so something else must be
>>afoot.
>>

>  Are you using Norton AntiVirus to check incoming mail?  If so that's
>probably the problem.  I noticed this behavior after installing Norton
>AV from Norton System Works 2002, and I'm still running 2.20.2402.  My
>numbers look similar to what you're seeing and the all of a sudden the
>thing jumps way up.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the way
>that it gets fed the file from the Norton AV servers.

I've seen something similar, but only on occasion.  There've been a few
times when I've received large pieces of mail, and saw the status line
go *past* 100%.  However, I'm not using Norton AV.  The only thing that
sits between PMMail and the net is firewall software.

-Warner