[pmmail-list] Error in message download status line?

Wayne Dunham pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:16:48 -0400

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:32:55 -0400, Steve Barber wrote:

>So, is this a known error? ... or am I doing something wrong?
>
>The status line that indicates the percentage that's been received of
>large messages coming in appears to report the download status
>incorrectly ... specifically it calculates the percentage complete by
>dividing the amount downloaded already by the total expected amount
>to be downloaded ... but the percent complete is almost always 0%.
>The message  looks like this:
>
>Getting Message 1 of 1, 0%(0.3kb/401kb)
>
>The denominator appears to correctly represent the size of the total
>file being downloaded.
>
>The numerator seems to be in error ... always reporting a fraction of
>a kb.
>
>The percent complete may be correctly calculated but is always wrong
>(0) because of  the erroneous numerator.
>
>In this case (a 401kb download) the download finished when the
>numerator reached 0.6kb)
>
>At first I thought the numerator was 1/1000 of it's actual value, but
>if that were true the download should have finished shortly after the
>numerator hit 0.4kb instead of 0.6kb, so something else must be
>afoot.
>
>I thought this used to work, but was failing on my windows version
>recently, so I installed the latest version (2.20.2475 standard) to
>see if it worked any better (It doesn't).

  Are you using Norton AntiVirus to check incoming mail?  If so that's
probably the problem.  I noticed this behavior after installing Norton
AV from Norton System Works 2002, and I'm still running 2.20.2402.  My
numbers look similar to what you're seeing and the all of a sudden the
thing jumps way up.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the way
that it gets fed the file from the Norton AV servers.

     Wayne Dunham
     waynedunham@email.com