[pmmail-list] Read/Return Receipt

PMMail 2000 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:39:11 -0400

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:34:16 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:

>>>I don't think PMMail even supports return receipt (???).
>>
>>My experience: there is a menu item Options -> Return Receipt but it
>>doesn't work.
>
>Ah, so there is.  I think it has to be supported by the mail server also.

PMMail does support the Return-Receipt-To: option. The line is added to the header of the message and the SMTP server MUST support and have this option enabled or you will not receive a receipt. The receipt that you receive is from the SERVER of the address you delivered the mail to, not from the addressee.  The server simply notifies you that it has received your message and that your server has done its job. This is useful when tracking where a delivery failure has occurred.

The Return-Receipt-To: is still valid on many mail servers, but to my knowledge, Disposition-Notification-To: is used now, among a few others. This is something that could use an update in PMMail, even if we just change the line that is added to the header. We are now looking into which is the best option to both provide users with the delivery confirmation and to ensure secure transfer of mail messages.

But, the original question:

> Is there a way to make PmMail either turn off or at least prompt you
>before sending out a return receipt as in most other Email programs?
>I've looked and can't seem to find it.

I am not sure how these emails are being sent from within PMMail, could you post the header information from one of the original messages that PMMail is sending a return receipt for?

Brandon King
PMMail 2000 Technical Support