[pmmail-list] Using address book

J Seder pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:53:34 -0700

>>   - As I type in a name, a popup list should appear with all the
>>address book entries which match the typed fragment in any field - like
>>a browser's history list.

>Ever TRIED this? Just type and PMMail will complete from the adress
>book. Not as sophisticated as Mozillas URL input field but surely
>easier than the method you used so far.

Yes, I have tried this.  PMMail only _completes_ aliases, so it just
doesn't work in practical application.  One must type the alias
exactly, from left to right - and even then PMMail shows only one
answer, the first match.  I have 504 names in my address book;  I can
reliably guess only a few dozen aliases.  None of the Janices in my
address book have aliases that begin "jan..." - but it wouldn't help if
they did.

>>   - If I double-click in the To: or Cc:/Bcc: field, the address
>>book should open.
>Just RIGHT click - all addresses (that you want to show up) at your
>fingertips - even one click less!

That doesn't produce the address book - just the relatively few names I
have put in my popup lists.  I want the computer to do the search for
me!  I don't want to have to squint at a list of 500 names - I want to
type "Janice" and have the computer give me a list of the four Janices
in my Address Book.

Why do you argue with that principle?

>>   - If I am composing a message and I click the RMB over a name in the
>>address book, the popup should offer me the option of adding the name
>>to the To: list.
>Just drag the name to the TO: or CC: or BCC: list (not the entry
>field), Done - again even easier than you want.

No, not easier, because the windows have to be lined up just so.  And
D&D doesn't work for Search results.

>>    - Esc should dismiss the Search dialog.
>It DOES. Could you please verify your claims before
>posting these things?

I did test this, and just confirmed it.  Esc does not dismiss the
Search dialog with 2.20.2475 for Windows 2000.  Could you please verify
your claims before asserting that someone else is wrong, or, if you
can't do that verification, wait for someone in such a position to make
a more authoritative statement?

Best regards - Jonathan Seder
from the beautiful town of Palo Alto, California (USA)
using PMMail/2 with Windows 2000 SP2