[pmmail-list] Using address book

Marty Rimpau pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:04:20 -0700

Hi, I wish there were an interface where pm mail would keep track of
the alias's in the address book, and if you have more than one alias,
let's say Bill, when you typed Bill in, a combo box would come up to
which you would arrow down to the specific alias you want, before
tabbing to either the cc bcc field, or the subject field.  Maybe this
isn't possible, seeing that computers don't understand documents, but I
find that you can only have one of each alias, and it's easy to forget
another alias for the same person with another address, any thoughts
would be appreciated.  On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:00:31 -0700, J Seder
wrote:

>Alas, the fact that the question was asked and produced so many answers
>reflects how awkward - no, awful - this interface is.
>
>The purpose of the address book is to help address e-mail.  This
>function should be fast, simple, and intuitive.
>
>For one annoying example, if I want to send a message to "Janice", I
>must open the address book, click "Tools" / "Search Addresses" and type
>"janice".  Then I must click "Find" or type Alt-F.  But I can't use the
>result list to add the name to my message!  I must note the alias (if
>there is one) or else note the Book so that I can go back to the
>address book and drag+drop (which requires the windows to be in
>convenient locations).
>
>Here are some ideas:
>   - As I type in a name, a popup list should appear with all the
>address book entries which match the typed fragment in any field - like
>a browser's history list.
>   - If I double-click in the To: or Cc:/Bcc: field, the address book
>should open.
>   - If I am composing a message and I click the RMB over a name in the
>address book, the popup should offer me the option of adding the name
>to the To: list.
>   - RMB for an entry in the Cc: list should give me the option of
>transferring to the Bcc: list, and vice versa.  Why should I have to
>make the intermediate transfer to To:?
>    - Enter should be equivalent to Alt-F in the Search dialog.
>    - Esc should dismiss the Search dialog.
>
>- pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
>To POST to the list, send your message to:
>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

>line of the message body being...

Marty