[pmmail-list] 5 minutes to open address book!

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:59:26 -0400

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:41:20 -0400, Andrew Webber wrote:

>Does anyone have an idea what would cause this erratic behaviour?

I have no idea really, but have you looked at whether other processes
were hogging the disk or processor? Sometimes when when Diskeeper
(defragmenter) kicks in, things slow down, even though they aren't
supposed to. Also, I have an old command line utility that seems to hog
the CPU to the extent that other programs seem to lock up.

When things are really slow, pull up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
and look at your processes. You might want to sort on CPU or memory.
Maybe eventually a pattern will form. Or maybe you'll see that PMMail
is taking up all of the CPU time and that is the problem.