[pmmail-list] HELP! I need the names of the attached Files on a printed Message!!!

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:10:09 -0700

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:30:10 +0200, Sven Schumacher wrote:

>If I recieve an Attachment of course there is no Path, but on a printed
>Message should be a way to get the NAMES and the FILESIZE of the recieved
>Attachments on that sheet of Paper WITHOUT using a pencil.

I agree with that; the printed message ought to have a table summarizing the
attachments.  That should not be hard to do.  Outlook does it (ducks the
tomatoes).

>On Messages I've sent there IS eventually a way to get the Filename of the
>File I've attached.

The FILENAME, yes, but not the PATH.  That isn't stored anywhere, and there's
no place to put it.  As soon as the message goes into the outbox, the
attachment exists only as a MIME-encoded section in the "sent" folder.  There
is no longer any connection to the original file on disk.  The message in the
"sent" folder is an exact copy of what went out to your recipients.  You
don't want path names embedded in outgoing messages, because that reveals
information about the organization of your hard disk.

I routinely delete attachments from disk after I send them, since I know they
live on in the "sent" folder.

>And also I really need to see on a printed message which
>NAME and SIZE the attachmend had...

This is reasonable.

>This is important because of we are sending contracts an construction-plans
>via email. We NEED printouts of the mails we've sent AND we need to see
>which version of we have sent or recieved...

Why do you need a printout?  Paper isn't any more believable than disk (or
shouldn't be).  I'm stunned by the number of people I talk to who use paper
and 3-ring binders as their e-mail archive.  If you need to verify the
version you sent, why wouldn't you just go out to your "sent" folder and open
the message to verify it?

Copy your e-mail folders to CD once a month.  That'll last as long as your
paper copy, and it is just as malleable!

>At the moment we need to make e screenshot so we can see the attachment
>names on a printout. THAT can't be the right way!

No.  The right way is to bypass the paper altogether.  That's the POINT of e-
mail.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.